WHOS can publish the same service interface of USGS water services (that requires in particular RDB format as the data model). Hence, time series published by WHOS can be visualized on a web page with the same look and feel as well.
The following steps go through a simple demo usage of the GWIS library with WHOS data.
Open GI-portal and perform a search. Matching metadata results should appear on the left panel. Click on a desired data set info icon to show the available links. There should be one link with protocol "GWIS" (circled in red in the following figure), click on it.
By clicking on the link, a new page will be displayed, showing a plot provided by GWIS library visualizing the last 7 day data (if available) from the specific WHOS dataset.
This page has the main aim to show compatibility of GWIS library with WHOS. Custom web portal are of course encouraged to further customize the actual interaction and look and feel.
Example of such customizations could include:
- show one or more plots directly on the portal map
- show multiple time series on the same plot
- modify plot CSS to change colours and plot style
The actual GWIS packages used in the demo have small modifications with respect to the original ones provided by USGS, in particular:
- changed service endpoint from USGS water services to WHOS service
- commented validation of site numbers (only integers are supported by USGS water services, while WHOS identifiers are UUID)