A - B - C - D - E - F - G - H - I - J - K - L - M - N - O - P - Q - R - S - T - U - V - W - X - Y - Z
- API: Application Programming Interface; it is used to access the VLab functionalities and build applications on top of it
- Copernicus: EU's program to monitor the Earth and its many ecosystems served by satellite and in situ observations through Copernicus services that deliver near-real-time data. More info at http://www.copernicus.eu
- DEIMS (Dynamical Ecological Information Management System): it contains datasets of networks dealing with ecological long term observation and experimentation.
- Docker: tool designed to create, deploy and run applications by using containers. Containers allow a developer to package up an application with all of the parts it needs, such as libraries and other dependancies, and ship it all out as one package
- Docker container: stand-alone, executable package that includes everything needed to run a piece of software, including the code, a runtime, libraries, environment variables, and configuration files.
- Docker image: template (application plus required binaries and libraries) needed to build a running Docker container (the running instance of that image).
- Fortran: programming language mainly used in numerical analysis
- FTP: File Transfer Protocol, used for transfering files
- GBIF: Global Biodiversdity Information Facility
- GEO: Group on Earth Observations
- GEOSS: Global Earth Observation System of Systems
- Git: distributed version control system designed to handle everything from small to very large projects with speed and efficiency
- Github: development platform that allows to host and review code.
- Netlogo: programming language to define and run simulations based on Java and Scala
- OBIS (Ocean Biodiversity Information System): gateway to the world’s ocean biodiversity and biogeographic data and information.
- Python: general purpose programming language
- R: programming language mainly used for statiscal applications
- Sandbox: security mechanism for separating running programs
- Sentinel: collection of multispectral satellite images of the entire Earth at 10, 20 or 60 meters resolution depending on the band. More information available here.
- SKOS: Simple Knowledge Organisation System; it is a W3C recommendation designed for representation of thesauri, classification schemes, taxonomies, subject-heading systems, or any other type of structured controlled vocabulary
- SPARQL: SPARQL Protocol and RDF Query Language; it is an RDF query language, that is, a semantic query language for databases, able to retrieve and manipulate data stored in Resource Description Framework (RDF) format.
- Virtual Laboratory: the ECOPOTENTIAL Virtual Laboratory is a cloud-based virtual platform enabling information access and knowledge generation for the ecosystem science community of practice
- Zenodo: research data repository for the preservation and availability of research, educational and informational content.
Return to top